[WSBARP] HOAs and W-9s

Richard Holland rich at pnwle.com
Tue Sep 5 10:13:30 PDT 2017

One of escrow officers was told by an REO Lender (so the Seller) that they will not pay any HOA back dues (set aside whether that is a legal issue with the CC&Rs and post foreclosure because in the specific case there was nothing owing) but they insisted that unless an HOA can provide a W-9 that they do not have to pay.  This was a tiny 4 or 5 house community where the dues are once a year and used basically to keep road nice and the entry mowed.  The poor guy 'running' the HOA had no idea what a W-9 even was.  I can understand it with the formal requirements of a Condo but I somewhat paused when it came up with an HOA - especially a small one like this.  Practically, if the HOA has a bank account it must have a TIN so a W9 shouldn't be an issue so this is mostly an academic question I suppose.

Sincerely,

Richard L. Holland

[logo-for-print.jpg]

603 4th Avenue, Suite 100
Kirkland, WA 98033
877.785.8734  / 866.982.5080 (fax)

BE AWARE!  Online banking fraud is on the rise. If you receive an email containing instructions on where or how much to send to our office, CALL TO VERIFY all information prior to sending. ** WE DO NOT CHANGE OUR BANKING INSTRUCTIONS**

The information contained in this communication, and in any attached document(s), is privileged and/or confidential, intended solely for the individual/entity to whom/which it was sent.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately at the email address, mailing address, or telephone or fax number above.