[WSBARP] Corporation Gurus

Rick Hoss rhoss at hctc.com
Wed Nov 22 14:42:13 PST 2017

In the olden days, de jure and de facto corporations and corporations by
estoppel existed to avoid harsh results from missing strict compliance with
the organization statutes. If there is no harm to any corporate creditor
there may be no foul - but I would still take the time to document some type
of ratification.

>From Mootz v. Spokane Racing, 189 Wash 225 (1937): If the corporation is
liable, it must, as it appears to us, be on one of two theories, either that
it was a de facto corporation at the time the agreement was claimed to have
been made, or that the corporation, subsequent to its organization, ratified
the same. Before there can be a de facto corporation, three essentials are
necessary: (a) A charter or general law under which such corporation as it
purports to be might lawfully be organized; (b) an attempt to organize
thereunder; and (c) actual users of the corporate franchise.