[WSBARP] Strict adherence to TOD Deed Statute

Jeanne Dawes jjdawes at goregrewe.com
Wed Nov 22 09:29:33 PST 2017

Dear List Mates:

I believe I know the answer to this, but since it is all relatively new, I thought I would glean the collective wisdom of the crowd.

We prepared and client signed a TOD Deed.  We mailed it on Friday to Ritzville for recording in Adams County.  Client died on Saturday, Deed was recorded on Monday.  I know the statute states that the deed must be recorded prior to death, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any wiggle room, where a title company, in this scenario,, would insure title.  I know we can do a lack of probate affidavit to avoid probate, but the home may not go on the market for more than a year, and I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with this set of facts, and if so, what was the outcome.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.  I'm thankful for all of the wisdom you share so freely over these listservs.

Jeanne

Jeanne J. Dawes
Attorney at Law
Gore & Grewe, P.S.