[WSBARP] Tax Sale Question

John McCrady j.mccrady at pstitle.com
Fri Nov 3 09:45:57 PDT 2017

Just a couple quick thoughts:

A properly conducted tax sale "initiates a new and complete title", with certain exceptions. (Messett vs. Cowell, 1914 Wash 6146; City of Walla Walla v. State of Wn., 197 Wash 357; Anderson v. Grays Harbor, 149 Wn 2d 89; Eagles v. Gen. Elec. Co., 5 Wn 2d 20).

A tax sale will not eliminate pre-existing public and private easements and common CCR's.  City of Olympia v. Palzer,  Nor will it eliminate certain covenants to pay assessments.  42 Wn. App. 751 Lake Arrowhead Club v. Lunv, 112 Wn.2d 288

The IRS considers that property taxes and assessments are superior to its tax liens.  IRC § 6323(b)(6) IRC § 6323(b)(6)

The tax sale does not eliminate certain assessment liens levied by municipalities. Pierce County v. Schwab, 48 Wn. App. 418.)

I am not aware of any priority that homeowner's assessments have over property taxes.  I would welcome enlightenment on that.

John McCrady
Counsel
Puget Sound Title Company
5350 Orchard Street West