[WSBARP] Life Estate Pur Autre Vie - A Follow-Up Re: Deeding Language

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Nov 1 13:22:47 PDT 2017

I think your client either has to give up on the secrecy, or give up on using a deed with life estate reservation and handle it via a trust or something similar. Privacy and deed recording don't go well together.

I think the proposed language varies from the standard deed format in a way that might cause a problem. I am nervous about the use of "quitclaim and convey" twice in the same deed. It sounds too much like two conveyances, once of which isn't intended to take place immediately, which violates requirements of a valid deed.

I don't think the responsibility for property taxes has this strong an effect on the EP goals here. By law, the holder of a life estate is responsible for property taxes. The life tenant is bound to keep the premises in repair and to pay taxes but is under no obligation to make improvements. In re Brooks' Estate, 44 Wn.2d 96, 265 P.2d 833 (1954); McDowell v. Beckham, 72 Wash. 224. And as a practical matter, you can get the tax bill sent to whomever you want, by filling out Box 3 of the REET Affidavit.

I would be inclined to stick to the traditional language for a life estate reservation, something like:

"Grantor quitclaims and conveys the real property to Remaindermen, as Tenants-in-Common, reserving unto Grantor a life estate pur autre vie for the full natural life of Grantor's Father."

But that still means you need the remaindermen to sign the REET Affidavit, which obviously alerts them to the transaction.

The desire for secrecy may defeat this method entirely, because you must have delivery of the deed to the Grantees anyway, regardless of whether or not they sign the REET Affidavit.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC