[WSBARP] Bankruptcy and Real Estate Question

Kary Krismer krismer at comcast.net
Tue May 30 21:57:19 PDT 2017

I haven’t practiced bankruptcy for over 10 years now, but I would assume this would be treated as an executory contract under 11 USC 365.  I vaguely recall an old 9th Circuit case dealing with a real estate contract (the security type document not a real estate purchase and sale contract) which I believe held that type of device was executory.  A purchase and sale contract would be even more likely to be so, absent some change in the Bankruptcy Act I don’t remember, or some new case law.

If executory under bankruptcy law the trustee could assume or reject the contract, and if assumed the sale could proceed and if rejected you’d have a claim for damages, which most likely would not receive any payment (most estates don’t have any assets to liquidate).  The trustee would only assume the contract if there was something in it for the estate beyond exemptions, or if the debtor gave them something out of their exemptions.  Anyway, I would start with 11 USC 365 and executory contracts.

Not sure exactly how no one would know about a foreclosure.  Apparently neither the listing agent or your client’s agent were looking at title reports.

Kary L. Krismer
John L. Scott/KMS Renton
206 723-2148