[WSBARP] eviction of tenant with disability

Scott Thomas scott.glen.thomas at gmail.com
Thu May 11 15:30:46 PDT 2017

Most landlords are prohibited from discrimination in housing.  42 USC 3604;
RCW 49.60.030 and .222.  A tenant who is being evicted for discriminatory
reasons or for failure to comply with a rule or or rent increase that is
discriminatory may raise the defense in an UD action.  *Josephinium Assoc.
v. Kahli*, 111 Wn. App. 617 (2002). I think this is just another way of
saying that a nexus is required per Paul's letter above.   Discrimination
includes failure to reasonably accommodate, and a reasonable accommodation
can be requested any time before a physical eviction occurs.  *Radecki v.
Joura*, 114 F.3d 115 (8th C.r. 1997).