[WSBARP] homestead and unsecured debt

Kary L. Krismer krismer at comcast.net
Thu May 4 17:32:51 PDT 2017

Unless something has changed, (I haven't practiced for over 10 years), you
don't need to record a homestead declaration if it's a house being lived
in.  Also, the amount is only $125,000 of equity.  Also, they could record
with the county auditor and just wait, and that would interfere with your
client's right to sell.

My main reason for writing though is I don't know where your client is
located, obviously not Seattle if their property is worth $100,000.  But
values a lot of places have been going up.  Many people do not know the
value of their property.

I would focus more on whether their other assets are exempt and whether
their income is exempt.  Creditors don't like to sue people who they
cannot garnish.  If they can garnish wages, that would be a problem.

Kary L. Krismer
John L. Scott/KMS Renton
206 723-2148

--