[WSBARP] Judgment for Deed

Richard Holland rich at pnwle.com
Tue Mar 28 13:34:02 PDT 2017

Ok, so this one can get you pretty far out in the weeds if you think about too long, as I have been, so I am hoping for some insight.

Situation:             Bank sues debtor and gets a judgment for balance owed etc. and that includes the order to judicially foreclose.
Bank wants to do a deed-in-lieu, presumably to avoid the 8 month redemption period, delays in getting to sale and getting the deed from the Sheriff after redemption and so on.  I have to assume the debtor is willing to cooperate.  Total guess but it seems likely it is a cash for keys or we won't destroy your credit sort of thing (again just guessing).
                                Title says, to them, the judgment already extinguished the DOT and other items on record below it.  I mean the title right now is squeaky clean (except for the judgment).

Questions:          1).  If a traditional deed-in-lieu of foreclosure is done and the judgment 'vacated', wouldn't that mean that any junior lien holder essentially 're-appears' on title?
                                2).  Can you exchange a deed from the debtor in 'satisfaction' of the judgment instead and avoid the undesirable result of #1?  Again, remember that the debtor is willing to do this.
                                3).  Is it even proper to do any sort of DIL when there is a Judgment - so an order from the Court - that says 'after foreclosure and sale' or does the judgment need to be modified first?

Sincerely,

Richard L. Holland

[logo-for-print.jpg]

603 4th Avenue, Suite 100                                PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS!
Kirkland, WA 98033
877.785.8734  / 866.982.5080 (fax)

BE AWARE!  Online banking fraud is on the rise.  If you receive an email containing a change in WIRE TRANSFER INSTRUCTIONS call our office immediately to verify the information prior to sending funds. ** WE DO NOT CHANGE OUR WIRE INSTRUCTIONS**

The information contained in this communication, and in any attached document(s), is privileged and/or confidential, intended solely for the individual/entity to whom/which it was sent.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately at the email address, mailing address, or telephone or fax number above.