[WSBARP] Mobile home expert?

Richard Holland rich at pnwle.com
Thu Mar 23 13:59:16 PDT 2017

I can't help you with market value but 1) odds are the mobile home is already considered real property by whatever county it is in.  Check the tax records.  2) Title elimination is the difference between a Title Company being willing to insure it as part of the transaction and not.  So, in that sense, what a buyer is willing to pay for the totality is often greater than what they will pay for a used mobile home that can't be insured and vacant land.

This is the provision that the Auditor uses to consider it real property even if the title has not been eliminated:

RCW 84.04.090
"Real property."
The term "real property" for the purposes of taxation shall be held and construed to mean and include the land itself, whether laid out in town lots or otherwise, and all buildings, structures or improvements or other fixtures of whatsoever kind thereon, except improvements upon lands the fee of which is still vested in the United States, or in the state of Washington, and all rights and privileges thereto belonging or in any wise appertaining, except leases of real property and leasehold interests therein for a term less than the life of the holder; and all substances in and under the same; all standing timber growing thereon, except standing timber owned separately from the ownership of the land upon which the same may stand or be growing; and all property which the law defines or the courts may interpret, declare and hold to be real property under the letter, spirit, intent and meaning of the law for the purposes of taxation. The term real property shall also include a mobile home which has substantially lost its identity as a mobile unit by virtue of its being permanently fixed in location upon land owned or leased by the owner of the mobile home and placed on a permanent foundation (posts or blocks) with fixed pipe connections with sewer, water, or other utilities: PROVIDED, That a mobile home located on land leased by the owner of the mobile home shall be subject to the personal property provisions of chapter 84.56 RCW and RCW 84.60.040.

The Auditors I have spoken with say that the fact that the title remains at DOL is more an administrative issue between agencies.  No one from the County ever sends anything to DOL stating 'we now consider this real property' so it exists in some sort of limbo.

Sincerely,

Rich Holland
rich at pnwle.com<mailto:rich at pnwle.com>
603 4th Avenue, Suite 100                                PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS!
Kirkland, WA 98033
425-836-6240  / 425-748-3901 (fax)

BE AWARE!  Online banking fraud is on the rise.  If you receive an email containing a change in WIRE TRANSFER INSTRUCTIONS call our office immediately to verify the information prior to sending funds.** WE DO NOT CHANGE OUR WIRE INSTRUCTIONS**

The information contained in this communication, and in any attached document(s), is privileged and/or confidential, intended solely for the individual/entity to whom/which it was sent.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately at the email address, mailing address, or telephone or fax number above.