[WSBARP] 3 year wait period after tax foreclosure

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Wed Mar 15 10:28:36 PDT 2017

Client purchased property a county tax foreclosure sale.  Client now selling to a developer who plans to build and then resell.  Title ins. Co. states that they will not insure due to 3-year rule under RCW 4.16.090.  There was thread on this issue earlier this year and I have that thread.  However, title company is willing to insure under 2 options: (1) Obtaining a certification from a tax title service company (that charges a pretty sizeable fee and will be in excess what I would charge for a quiet title action); or (2) Quiet title.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a quiet title action in this instance.

Is it a declaratory action that requests that the court declare that the county acted in accordance with law?  To me it appears that I am effectively cutting off a 3-year SOL, which seems highly questionable.  Am I correct?

Additionally, the other parties of record was a defunct corporation and a private lien holder.  If you have experience in this, I would like to know do I need publish my Summons for all interested parties in the property to satisfy the title company?  All I am getting back from underwriting at the title insurance co. is do a quiet title action as if all quiet title actions are the same.

Thank you,

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
P.O. Box 1689
Yakima, Washington  98907
Telephone:  (509) 248-7220
Facsimile:  (509) 575-1883

NOTICES:
Confidentiality: This e-mail transmission may contain information which is protected by attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us immediately and return the e-mail to us by choosing Reply (or the corresponding function on your e-mail system) and then deleting the e-mail.