[WSBARP] Property Conveyance 'hypothetical'

Marc Holmes marc at holmeslawgroup.com
Thu Mar 9 13:55:24 PST 2017

I like the other responses and here’s one more idea based on the premise
that many people in A’s position get greedy and look for ways to get the
lion share of the property’s value.  Thus, the heirs in this case are likely
to assume A’s got ulterior motives and to distrust any proposals he puts
forth.

To mitigate that, have A tell the heirs that he wants to sell his ½ interest
and will gladly sell it to any or all of them for X dollars.  He’s also
happy to buy their combined ½ interest for the same X dollars.  If somebody
steps up and cashes him out, done and done.  If none want to buy it, then
you write up a simple purchase and sale agreement with 100% seller financing
and see if they will all sign it.  I’d offer enticing terms like above
market interest rate, short balloon payoff, perhaps one year or maybe even 6
months, buyer covers all the closing costs including excise, title
insurance, escrow, etc.   The proposed deed of trust (or RE contract if you
prefer) should cover the entire property including the half he already owns.

If they’ll take that deal, he’ll own the entire property and can keep it,
sell to the neighbor, or list it and see what the market will bear.  Of
course, one or more of the heirs might say they want to buy the property if
seller financing is available.  To that I’d say you bet cowboy, all we need
is your siblings to sell their interests as well or to subordinate so that
the deed of trust covers the entire property.  A has already demonstrated
his willingness to subordinate so they’ll have a harder time saying no.

If that deal closes, A gets a nice little annuity and payoff down the road.
Plus, if they ever stop paying, he gets to foreclose and get their half of
the property for the cost of a foreclosure or forfeiture proceeding.

If one or more of the heirs won’t agree to the deal, A can always offer to
cash out some or all of the heirs in a cash or bank financed sale.  The
point of all this is to get them to negotiate from a rational and not
paranoid position.

.

Marc Holmes

Holmes Law Group PLLC