[WSBARP] real estate agent's business license

Bryce Dille BryceD at cdb-law.com
Sun Jun 25 20:15:06 PDT 2017

I checked with several of my real estate brokerage clients and none of their agents are independently liscensed

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 25, 2017, at 8:02 PM, Kary Krismer <krismer at comcast.net<mailto:krismer at comcast.net>> wrote:

I’m not sure where the DOR is coming up with that position, but the firm is licensed, both by DOL as a brokerage firm, and by the state and city as a business under the licenses that other businesses need.  Only the firm pays taxes to the state and local entities, and they have the option of charging the agents for some of those taxes, but not all.

For a time a few years ago some cities were going to require the individual agents to have a business license in each city that the agent worked in, but the legislature shut that down.  Sorry I don’t have a cite.

BTW, independent contractor doesn’t affect the analysis, at least for L&I.  The firm still has to pay the tax for the agents.

Kary L. Krismer
John L. Scott/KMS Renton
206 723-2148