[WSBARP] Litigation Ethics ( a rare commodity?)

Andrew Hay andrewhay at washingtonlaw.net
Wed Jun 14 12:55:44 PDT 2017

I tell the lawyer in a letter that I will give him a week to provide his client's address or an acceptance of service or have the defendant make arrangements to be available for service and that if he fails to do so, I will present the inaction as support for prong (2) of RCW 4.28.100.

(2) When the defendant, being a resident of this state, has departed therefrom with intent to defraud his or her creditors, or to avoid the service of a summons, or keeps himself or herself concealed therein with like intent;

I also tell him the cost of publication is higher than service and those costs will be added to an adverse judgment.

I keep the lawyer in the loop all the way because it sure makes it hard for the defendant to try to vacate the judgment for lack of notice, inexcusable neglect or any other defense when the lawyer knew that action was progressing.

Andrew Hay
Hay & Swann PLLC
201 South 34th Street
Tacoma, WA  98418
Phone: (253) 272-2400
Fax:     (253) 267-8947
www.washingtonlaw.net<http://www.washingtonlaw.net/>

THIS IS A CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION AND IS INTENDED FOR THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENT ONLY.  IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY AND DESTROY ALL COPIES