[WSBARP] Litigation Ethics ( a rare commodity?)

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 14 12:40:03 PDT 2017

Hey Litigators!  I represent a HOA that needs to execute on a judgement lien on a residence in the subdivision (for past dues).  House has been vacant for about 10 years and can only be torn down.  In trying to hunt down the owner in order to serve owner with execution pleadings (trying multiple numbers and addresses and leaving messages), I received a call and multiple emails from an attorney who says she represents owner.  No deal is reached AND the attorney declines/refuses to tell me where to serve the owner and will not accept service of process on behalf of the owner.  So I need to go into court and get permission from the court to serve by publication because the owner is purposely trying to avoid service, which will extend the response time from 20 days to 60 days.

So, is there any requirement (moral, legal, or ethical) that I also send copies of the court pleadings to the owner’s attorney????  Part of me says “screw ‘em.  If the attorney is going to play games (I know, my interpretation) AND I don’t really know if she truly represents the owner, then why should the attorney get notice and the pleadings?  Let her find out the normal way (property posting) and then she can file a Notice of Appearance if she wants to.”  Another part of me says that I should rise above that thought and give copies to the attorney, if for any reason, because if I need to take a default and go to the sheriff’s sale, it would more likely survive a challenge.  What say you??

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D2E508.DA7140C0]