[WSBARP] Statute of Limitations Question

Ron Housh ron at housh.org
Fri Jul 28 12:31:58 PDT 2017

John and Rich:

Thanks.

I have not dealt much with merger principles.

Seems Developer will argue Party A's "obligations" are collateral contract
requirements.

Perhaps it could be argued by Party A that the subsequent failure to deliver
to Party A good title to the "additional parcel" [because Developer One
never developed] was a pre-condition not met thus excusing any further
obligations of Party A?

I like Rich's estoppel/laches argument.

At some point whether under principles of equity or law any duty on A's part
must be excused.  As Party A has said, "What if the land was sold to a third
developer who developed 25 years from now, would that developer be able to
claim that I - party A - must agree that my parcel A is to be part of the
plat and the CCR's?"   I think not.

Ron

Party A buys Parcel A from Developer One in 2006.

Party A agrees to cooperate "to the greatest extent possible" [whatever that
means] in seller's completion of a Rural Cluster Subdivision - a 32 Lot
development.

Upon approval of the Plat then an additional Parcel will be available for
Party A to purchase.

Party A further agrees to "adhere to the CCR's of the Plat to be
established" and further agrees to "respect and acknowledge" [whatever that
means] the open space and native growth protection area in the Plat.

Developer One never develops the property and eventually sells all of the
properties - except Parcel A which is still owned by Party A -   to
Developer Two.

Developer Two is now seeking Plat approval which incorporates Parcel A  into
the plat and incorporates Parcel A into the CCR's and is asking Party A to
sign off.

I AM TYPICALLY IN THE SEATTLE OFFICE ON TUESDAY AND THURSDAY AND IN THE
MOUNT VERNON OFFICE ON MONDAY, WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY

Ronald G. Housh, P.S.

Attorney at Law

Seattle Office:

1420 Fifth Avenue, Suite 3000