[WSBARP] Unlawful exclusion?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Jan 24 09:34:30 PST 2017

My law-school exam answer, which may or may not be right or even helpful:

New lease of 1/14/17 is a breach of the old lease's covenant of quiet enjoyment and of RLTA.

Exclusion of A from Premises by court order does not cancel A's private contractual right to store possessions there. A can be personally excluded from the Premises because of the court order, see RCW 59.18.290(1)<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=59.18&full=true#59.18.290>, but the right to terminate the agreement as a whole under that statute belongs to A, not the LL, and not B.

A has a right of action against LL for breach, and against B as well at least for tortious interference with business relationship, by knowingly entering into a new lease for the Premises that interferes with the old lease.

As of 1/19/17, A's right of occupancy is restored and neither B nor LL can lawfully exclude A.

HOWEVER, if A has been charged with criminal trespass, I think there is more to the story here, especially with a no-contact order also being entered. There may be alternative reasons for the exclusion on 1/19 not based on the dismissed order.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA  98144-3909
phone 206-625-0092
fax 206-625-9040

Please Note that We Have Moved. We have moved our Seattle office to Mount Baker Ridge (a small commercial community just above the I-90 tunnel). Our new address is 1417 31st Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144. All other contact information remains the same.