[WSBARP] UD Gurus

Danielle Flatt danielle at dimensionlaw.com
Wed Jan 11 14:11:05 PST 2017

I have not had this fact pattern come up in my practice, but my
understanding is that the three days for execution of the writ described in
59.18.390(1) refers to 3 court days not calendar days ("The sheriff ...
shall not execute the [writ] for three days thereafter").  In the counties
I practice in, the sheriff's department does not execute writs on days that
are not court days, so weekends and holidays are excluded. Since 59.18.390
references 59.18.312, perhaps the legislature intended to exclude weekends
& holidays.

Usually the Sheriff stamps a Move Out deadline when they post the writ and
their phone number, so the sheriff's imposed deadline could lead a
defendant to believe that the Move Out deadline was also their deadline for
requesting storage.

Best Regards,

DANIELLE FLATT | ATTORNEY | DIMENSION LAW GROUP PLLC
234 SW 43rd St, Suite MA | Renton, WA 98057
t: *206.973.3500 *| f: *206.577.5090*| e: *danielle at dimensionlaw.com
<danielle at dimensionlaw.com>*| www.dimensionlaw.com

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Paul Neumiller <pneumiller at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Has anyone done an analysis whether CR 6 (“…When the period of time
> prescribed or allowed is less than 7 days, intermediate Saturdays,
>
> Sundays and legal holidays shall be excluded in the computation…”) applies
> to 59.12.312(1) (“…The landlord must store the property if the tenant
> serves a written request to do so on the landlord or the landlord's
> representative by any of the methods described in RCW 59.18.365 no later
> than three days after service of the writ….”)  I’m not finding any reported
> cases that directly address the issue.  The tenants just served the notice
> and it is too late IF we count the weekend and is just within the 3 days if
> we don’t count the weekend.
>

> IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail message is intended to be received only by
> persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain.
> E-mail messages to clients of Paul A. Neumiller presumptively contain
> information that is confidential and legally privileged; e-mail messages to
> non-clients are normally confidential and may also be legally privileged.
> Please do not read, copy, forward or store this message unless you are the
> intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error,
> please forward it back to the sender and delete it completely from your
> computer system.
>
> E-mail communication on the Internet may NOT be secure. There is a risk
> that this confidential communication may be intercepted illegally. There
> may also be a risk of waiving attorney-client and/or work-product
> privileges that may attach to this communication. DO NOT forward this
> message to a third party. If you have any questions regarding this notice,
> please contact the sender.

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This e-mail (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by e-mail, facsimile, or
telephone; return the e-mail to us at the e-mail address below; and destroy
all paper and electronic copies.