[WSBARP] Title insurance and 3 year issue

Bickel, Dwight Dwight.Bickel at fntg.com
Tue Jan 10 11:44:01 PST 2017

It seems more inconsistent between title companies than it probably really is in practice. Nobody should rely upon posts about what a title company officer may have said or done in a particular instance. There have been some cases that I agreed to insure within a year without a surcharge. There have been other cases that I declined to insure after seven years. Basic guidelines may be more helpful:

Any period of time since a sale poses an extra risk of a challenge to the sale and a loss covered by a new owner's policy. A title company should consider every year that passes is a reduction of that unknown risk potential.

Within one year any person can easily set aside a default.
After three years (as noted by several) certain limited rights to challenge the sale expire.
Within seven years, there can be a challenge by any person based upon lack of proper service.

The period that is my starting point for analysis is seven years, based on the color of title of a foreclosure deed, actual possession and payment of taxes. See 7.28.070<https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=7.28.070>

Adverse possession under claim and color of title-Payment of taxes.
Every person in actual, open and notorious possession of lands or tenements under claim and color of title, made in good faith, and who shall for seven successive years continue in possession, and shall also during said time pay all taxes legally assessed on such lands or tenements, shall be held and adjudged to be the legal owner of said lands or tenements, to the extent and according to the purport of his or her paper title. All persons holding under such possession, by purchase, devise or descent, before said seven years shall have expired, and who shall continue such possession and continue to pay the taxes as aforesaid, so as to complete the possession and payment of taxes for the term aforesaid, shall be entitled to the benefit of this section.

Any voluntary deed given by those who have possible rights under the former owner to challenge the sale is a valuable reduction of that risk.

Dwight Bickel