[WSBARP] No Super Priority Lien for Non Condo HOAs? RCW 64.34.364Inapplicable.

James L. Strichartz jim at condo-lawyers.com
Fri Feb 24 16:52:24 PST 2017

Hi Rob,

Liens for non-condominium homeowners associations are common law liens based strictly on the terms of the recorded declaration of covenants.  Typically those covenants contain a provision that subordinates the association’s lien to the lien of either first mortgages or all mortgages.  Absent that subordination provision it is my opinion that the lien would relate back to the date of recording of the covenants and therefore prime any mortgage.  It is also my opinion that no mortgage lenders would lend on those properties.  There are no statutory provisions dealing with non-condominium homeowners association liens.  As you rightly point out, RCW 64.34 is inapplicable.  See RCW 64.34.010.

Best regards,

Jim Strichartz

Jim Strichartz

Attorney

Fellow, College of Community Association Lawyers

Law Offices of James L. Strichartz

201 Queen Anne Avenue North, Suite 400

Seattle, WA 98109-4824

jim at condo-lawyers.com <mailto://jim@condo-lawyers.com/>

http://www.condo-lawyers.com <http://www.condo-lawyers.com/>

http://www.linkedin.com/in/condolawyer <http://www.linkedin.com/in/condolawyer>

tel:   206-388-0600

fax:  206-286-2666

Providing Tools for Successful Communities

This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited, and you are requested to please notify us immediately by telephone, and return the original message to us at the above address. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of this firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. Although this message and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free, and no responsibility is accepted by this firm for any loss or damage in any way from its use.