[WSBARP] Probate or not to probate

Wendy Walter WWalter at McCarthyHolthus.com
Fri Feb 24 08:49:39 PST 2017

You might want to consider a lack of probate affidavit.  http://dor.wa.gov/Docs/forms/RealEstExcsTx/Lackofprobateaffidavit.pdf

The forms for these vary depending on the title company, but I would definitely consult with one in order to ensure the transaction is insurable.

Wendy Walter | Partner - Pacific Northwest | Member State Bars of WA and OR
McCarthy ♦ Holthus LLP
    m. 108 1st  Ave. S., Suite 300, Seattle, WA  98104
    d. 206.596.4844 | f. 206.780.6862 | c. 425.241.5459
    e. wwalter at mccarthyholthus.com<mailto:wwalter at mccarthyholthus.com>
Arizona ♦ California ♦ Colorado ♦  Idaho ♦ Nevada ♦ New Mexico ♦ Oregon ♦ Texas ♦ Washington
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained herein may be privileged and protected by the attorney/client and/or other privilege. It is confidential in nature and intended for use by the intended addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby expressly prohibited from dissemination distribution, copy or any use whatsoever of this transmission and its contents. If you receive this transmission in error, please reply or call the sender and arrangements will be made to retrieve the originals from you at no charge.
Federal law requires us to advise you that communication with our office could be interpreted as an attempt to collect a debt and that any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

From: wsbarp-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com [mailto:wsbarp-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Jim Doran
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 8:41 AM
To: WSBA Real Property Listserv
Subject: [WSBARP] Probate or not to probate

I am going to ask this question simply because times and statutes change.
I have a client whose sister died owning a home.  The Will gives the home to the surviving sister and the brother.  Everyone is in good accord.
I am unaware of any other process besides the probate process to transfer the property to the heirs (brother and sister) through a Personal Representative Deed.  Is there an alternative way to do this?
I was going to call my local title company but I remember there are a few of you on this list serve.
Thank you.
Jim Doran

James R. Doran
Attorney at Law