[WSBARP] Waterfront home & Shoreline Management Act question

Rick Hoss rhoss at hctc.com
Thu Feb 23 13:29:47 PST 2017

Marc - The local jurisdiction will have adopted a Shoreline Master Plan with
restrictions unique to this area. Ours limits vegetation removal within 135
feet of the ordinary high water line. Rebuilding if done within 2 years of
casualty is allowed and often with a 15% increase. In Mason County we can
request and pay a small fee for a pre-inspection report done by a planner
and they will highlight all the applicable regulations and setbacks. If your
health department can't answer specific septic concerns they will have a
list of approved installers and designers - most of those can quickly answer
questions. I request public records from health, building and planning
department, then follow up with questions to the correct department. You
will get copies of the actual on-site septic permit and know who the
designer and installer were.