[WSBARP] Adverse Possession

Christopher Thayer CThayer at pivotallawgroup.com
Mon Feb 20 15:08:12 PST 2017

It is 10 years.  The tax paying 7 year provision only applies when you have  "color of title" to the disputed property.

Sincerely,

Chris Thayer
PIVOTAL LAW GROUP, PLLC
www.PivotalLawGroup.com<http://www.PivotalLawGroup.com>
206.340.2008
Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 20, 2017, at 2:17 PM, Scott Hildebrand <scott at starboard-strategies.com<mailto:scott at starboard-strategies.com>> wrote:

Dearest Real Property Gurus
I have a client who has acquired property and there is property separated by a fence that can be claimed via adverse possession. My client has only had the property for a while, but claims they can tack on the previous owners use for more than seven years.

Help me with some statutory interpretation if you are willing:
7.28.050 seems to be the standard definition of adverse possession.
7.28.070 requires an adverse possessor to have used the land and paid taxes.

I get the reimbursement for taxes if paid by the adverse party and the attorney fees provision, but does the non-payment of taxes make my client’s case that much less defensible? Is it likely to be tossed for lack of stating a claim under the law?

If someone could shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

Best,
Scott Hildebrand