[WSBARP] Priority of mechanics lien recorded post conveyance

Craig Blackmon craig at lawofficeofcraigblackmon.com
Wed Aug 30 13:59:54 PDT 2017

'Mates, your input is appreciated following my ineffective legal research
(which was then curtailed by error messages on CaseMaker).

*Facts*: Owner contracts with GC to build house; Owner pays GC in full
without sufficient lien release assurances; Owner sells house, title is
conveyed to Buyer by recorded warranty deed; Subcontractor thereafter
records an otherwise valid mechanic's lien.

I assumed the lien was invalid on its face since it is subsequent to
conveyance. How can Subcontractor foreclose Buyer's superior-in-time
interest? I know a mechanics lien can defeat an existing but unrecorded
DOT. But superior to a prior recorded conveyance?

Is it as simple as I think? Is this lien invalid on its face? Or am I
missing something?

Thanks in advance!!

Craig

Craig Blackmon, Attorney at Law
Seattle Real Estate Lawyer <http://www.seattlepropertylawyer.com/>
92 Lenora St. (The Makers Space, a shared work environment)
Seattle WA 98121
Office/Cell: (206) 369-5949   Fax: (206) 770-7328
@LawyerBroker <https://twitter.com/LawyerBroker>
How to Buy Without an Agent
<http://www.seattlepropertylawyer.com/blog?category=Buy+without+an+Agent> | How
to Sell FSBO <http://www.seattlepropertylawyer.com/blog?category=Sell+FSBO>
 | RE Glossary
<http://www.seattlepropertylawyer.com/blog?category=Real+Estate+Glossary>
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication is a private, confidential
electronic communication encompassed by 18 USC 2510. It is for the sole use
of the intended recipient and receipt by anyone other than the intended
recipient does not constitute a loss of its confidential or privileged
nature.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender and destroy all
copies.