[WSBARP] Personal Injury Award and Social Security Income

NC seaseanc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 14:02:13 PDT 2017

Sometimes a trust is set up to handle these awards and not affect
eligibility.

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Jim Doran <jim at doranlegal.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Jim Doran
>
> James R. Doran
> Attorney at Law
> 100 E. Pine Street -  Suite 205
> Bellingham, WA 98225
> (360)393-9506
> jim at doranlegal.com
> www.doranlegal.com
>
> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Roger Hawkes <Roger at law-hawks.com> wrote:
>
>> Jim: SSI is based on poverty, so any incoming resources could affect
>> that; if it actually is ssdi, that is based on inability to work and would
>> not be affected by resources.  PI awards are not considered taxable income
>> if there was a physical injury to the person; some pi awards do not include
>> physical injuries to the awardee.
>>

>> Roger Hawkes, WSBA 5173
>>
>> 19909 Ballinger Way NE
>>
>> Shoreline, WA 98155
>>
>> www.hawkeslawfirm.com
>>
>> 206 367 5000 <(206)%20367-5000> voice
>>
>> 206 367 4005 <(206)%20367-4005>  fax

Nicholas L. Clapham
(206)939-0262

NOTICE- This email message may contain confidential and privileged
information. It is intended only for the named recipent(s) and may contain
attorney work product and/or information exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. Any unauthorized use is prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message. This does not constitute an electronic
signature.

Pursuant to U.S. Treasury Department Circular 230 and other IRS
regulations, unless we expressly state otherwise, any tax advice contained
in this communication (including any attachments) was not intended or
written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding
tax-related penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or matter(s) addressed herein.