[WSBARP] Attorney Acting as Broker

Spencer Stromberg spencer at lucentlaw.com
Mon Sep 26 14:11:57 PDT 2016

I've represented client in real estate transactions many times where there
is a listing agent representing the seller. Residential agents tend to be
very skittish of this situation, but commercial brokers are more
comfortable with it.

I've never tried to get the commission paid to me or to rebate it to my
client. I have normally negotiated a discount on the purchase price equal
to 1/2 of the total commission, though. If the seller is willing, you
likely could negotiate a credit at closing for the selling side of the
commission.

As Craig Blackmon mentioned, I would stay away from the commission/rebate
situation unless it is fully disclosed to all parties. I would also want to
consider the B&O tax implications for your firm of receiving the
commission, and whether the rebate to the client is an allowable deduction
from your taxable receipts.

All in all, I think a negotiated credit to your client is a more straight
forward way to handle things.

Spencer A. W. Stromberg
Attorney at Law

827 W. 1st Avenue, Suite 425
Spokane, WA 99201-3914
P: 509.413.1004
D: 509.828.4644
F: 509.413.1078
E: spencer at lucentlaw.com
Web: www.lucentlaw.com

Schedule an appointment with me: Click Here
<http://www.vcita.com/v/brettsullivan/online_scheduling?service_id=qg7ua0116mrobm2j&staff_id=f54f6edbe76cf125>

*Lucent Law provides comprehensive legal services in the areas of real
estate, business law, and wills, trusts and estates. Additionally, Lucent
Law's Forms & Essentials online platform
<http://lucentlaw.com/forms-essentials/> provides defined scope legal
services that are easy to understand and simple to purchase, all at
reasonable fixed prices.*

*For news and updates regarding business law, real estate law and estate
planning issues, please sign up for Lucent Law's News & Updates newsletter
<https://www.lucentlaw.com/newsletter-sign-up>.*

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential and
may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution, or use of this email
or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify me and delete it from your system.