[WSBARP] Attorney Acting as Broker

Craig Blackmon craig at lawofficeofcraigblackmon.com
Mon Sep 26 13:31:32 PDT 2016

It can be done - I've been doing it in one way or another for about a
decade. Here is a quick-n-dirty list of the issues:

   1. Query whether everything you will do falls within the exemption to
   the licensing statute as an attorney. If you do anything that clearly isn't
   the practice of law and falls within "real estate brokerage services" then
   I suspect the DOL would say the exemption doesn't apply at least as to
   those activities. The DOL may be wrong, but you'd have to litigate the
   enforcement action to find out. The alternative is to get your license. But
   see No. 3.
   2. Even if the exemption applies, you almost certainly won't be entitled
   to the commission, unless you are a licensed real estate broker and member
   of the NWMLS. The former is a requirement typically of new construction,
   and only by the latter do you have a contractual right to that fee. Maybe
   the seller will agree to pay you the same funds, but that is a negotiated
   term, not automatic, unless you are in the NWMLS.
   3. By my analysis, one cannot act as a broker and as an attorney at the
   same time for the same client. The legal and ethical obligations are
   inconsistent. Easiest example: If someone from the DOL comes to your office
   and asks for your client files, as a broker you must provide them. As an
   attorney, the very fact of representation is confidential and there is no
   way you can provide an agent of the state with the client's file, not
   without a court order.
   4. Be aware of the laws around a rebate. Generally speaking, it must be
   disclosed on the settlement statement and if not you are likely running
   afoul of federal law. No "cash back" outside of escrow...

Good luck!

Craig

Craig Blackmon, Attorney at Law
Seattle Real Estate Lawyer <http://www.seattlepropertylawyer.com/>
92 Lenora St. (The Makers Space, a shared work environment)
Seattle WA 98121
Office/Cell: (206) 369-5949   Fax: (206) 770-7328
@LawyerBroker <https://twitter.com/LawyerBroker>
How to Buy Without an Agent
<http://www.seattlepropertylawyer.com/blog?category=Buy+without+an+Agent> | How
to Sell FSBO <http://www.seattlepropertylawyer.com/blog?category=Sell+FSBO>
 | RE Glossary
<http://www.seattlepropertylawyer.com/blog?category=Real+Estate+Glossary>
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication is a private, confidential
electronic communication encompassed by 18 USC 2510. It is for the sole use
of the intended recipient and receipt by anyone other than the intended
recipient does not constitute a loss of its confidential or privileged
nature.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender and destroy all
copies.