[WSBARP] Listing exceptions to title in deed versus "boiler plate" reference to exceptions of record

John McCrady j.mccrady at pstitle.com
Fri Sep 23 09:50:26 PDT 2016

Dwight has set forth the issue better than I could have.  The escrow instructions (at least the ones I have seen) merely tell escrow which exceptions to title are acceptable on the Title Policy, and don’t address which exceptions are approved for the deed.  This results in the closer making the decision as to what warranties are being made by the seller; that is not a good thing.

The closer could amend the escrow instructions to set forth the warranties to be made on the deed, and I am considering doing that in our escrow instructions.  This may not give any real relief since few buyers and sellers even read the escrow instructions.  But at least they will have an opportunity to consider the matter.

John McCrady
Counsel
Puget Sound Title Company
5350 Orchard Street West