[WSBARP] Marriage application filed, but no certificate

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Sep 1 10:50:08 PDT 2016

What matters is whether they went through an actual marriage ceremony with the appropriate number of witnesses and an officiant. RCW 26.04.070<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=26.04&full=true#26.04.070>. If they did that in good faith, then they are married regardless of whether or not a certificate was filed or even an application was made for one. Improper application or certificate and other procedural defects do not invalidate a marriage. Instead, the penalty is on the officiant at the ceremony, or possibly on the parties but not in terms of invalidating marriage (unless it was not permitted for some other reason, such as being under the age of 17, or consent obtained by force or fraud, etc.).

If there is no ceremony, then they likely are just in a committed intimate relationship (CIR), as Kerry pointed out. In that case, upon death of one partner, the survivor is entitled to a "fair and equitable" division of all property accumulated during the relationship – it is not a 50-50 split necessarily, but "fair and equitable" analogous to a divorce. Keep in mind, though, that it only affects property accumulated during the relationship; it does not affect what would otherwise be considered the decedent's "separate property" had they been married.

Then, the survivor gets the "fair and equitable" share of the property, and the decedent's share devolves pursuant to inheritance law. The survivor is not considered a surviving spouse for purposes of inheritance. Peffley-Warner v. Bowen, 113 Wn.2d 243, 253, 778 P.2d 1022 (1989).

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA  98144-3909
phone 206-625-0092
fax 206-625-9040

Please Note that We Have Moved. We have moved our Seattle office to Mount Baker Ridge (a small commercial community just above the I-90 tunnel). Our new address is 1417 31st Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144. All other contact information remains the same.