[WSBARP] Hirst v Whatcom County - DOE and new domestic wells?

Paul pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 18 13:24:36 PDT 2016

“What say you?.....”

I’d say that three acre rural parcel without water next to my house just dropped in value by 80% (maybe 95%).  Time to enlarge the estate.  For the owners of rural parcels without water, I’d say its time to march into their tax assessors offices and damand a reduction in assessed values and property taxes.

All joking aside, this could be a disastrous decision for all owners of rural parcels that are not close enough for municipal water or in a large subdivision that has its own wells.

Currently, my area is deemed by Island County to be “high risk” for salt water intrusion.  What this means is that if a neighbor wants to put in a new well, the County rquires the owner to dig the well and then require (I think) a 24 hour pump test while at the same time, monitoring all of the other wells in the vacinity.  If the 24 hour pump test has ANY impact on a surrounding existing well, the new well owner is not allowed to hook up to the new proposed well.  So in other words, the gamble is that the owner may incur $10k to $15k in costs for the new well, hit water, and still not be able to use the well if it drops the level of water in a neighboring well.  Consequently, some of the lots in my area are not being developed and the properties are being passed down from generation to generation because no one wants to deal with the problems.  This decision may make it even more difficult to obtain water.