[WSBARP] Quiet Title - "Actual Possession" Where Possessor's Use Is Unlawful

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Mon Oct 3 17:08:02 PDT 2016

Try this for a start:

But in this case the possession of the respondent, though it may be said to have been in a sense adverse to that of the plaintiff, was not such a one as could ever ripen into any title, as against the plaintiff, or any other person. Such entry was, under the decision of the supreme court of the United States in Atherton v. Fowler, 96 U. S. 512, unlawful, and not such as could be the foundation of any right whatever.

Laurendeau v. Fugelli, 5 Wash. 632, 633, 32 P. 465, 466 (1893) (correct cite to Atherton now is 96 U.S. 513)

In an earlier case, Laurendeau v. Fugelli, 5 Wash. 632, 32 P. 465, 466, we pointed out the distinction between adverse possession which was truly adverse, and adverse possession which was merely trespass, and approved a statement by the United States Supreme Court in Atherton v. Fowler, 96 U. S. 513, 24 L. Ed. 732, to the effect that possession, which was merely unlawful and without the foundation of any right whatever, could never be the basis of the acquisition of title as against an owner who had never consented to such possession, or who interrupted it upon his first notice of it. See, also, Myer v. Roberts, 50 Or. 81, 89 P. 1051, 12 L. R. A. (N. S.) 194, 126 Am. St. Rep. 733, 15 Ann. Cas. 1031; McGinnis v. Fernandes, 135 Ill. 69, 26 N. E. 109, 25 Am. St. Rep. 347.

Plaza Farmers' Union Warehouse & Elevator Co. v. Tomlinson, 183 Wash. 617, 626, 49 P.2d 36, 40 (1935)

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss
Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP
236 West Birch Street
Shelton, WA 98584
360 426-2999

www.hossandwilson-hoss.com
rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above) and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.  Thank you.

This office does debt collection and this e-mail may be an attempt to collect a debt, Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.  To the extent the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. § 1692) applies this firm is acting as a debt collector for the condominium/homeowners' association named above to collect a debt owed to it. Any information obtained will be used for collection purposes. You have the right to seek advice of legal counsel.