[WSBARP] PR fee

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Nov 21 17:00:13 PST 2016

Short answer, $35 to $50 per hour.

I usually tell clients to log their time, multiply it by $35 to $50 per hour, then we do a gut-check to see if it seems too high or low compared to the total value of the estate. I also remind the PR that a fee should be reported as income

I also assess the likelihood of an objection to fees, and whether any of the PR's time could have been accomplished more cheaply by someone else. That's not always the case, even for a house clean-out, because the clean-out often involves sifting through important papers, identifying sentimental items and family heirlooms that would be trashed or given away but a person with no personal knowledge about the decedent. But if an objection is likely, I do compare an hourly rate of $35-$50 against what the work might have been for by someone the PR could have hired, and if the PR wants to stick with a higher fee for their personal services, look for reasons why the PR's personal services were necessary or more beneficial than hiring someone else, and justify the increased rate on that basis (if needed).

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA  98144-3909
phone 206-625-0092
fax 206-625-9040

Please Note that We Have Moved. We have moved our Seattle office to Mount Baker Ridge (a small commercial community just above the I-90 tunnel). Our new address is 1417 31st Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144. All other contact information remains the same.