[WSBARP] Form 17 issue

atfitz at comcast.net atfitz at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 10:52:57 PST 2016

There has been significant discussion over this question among RE brokerage industry lawyers and not surprisingly, there is no single consensus answer. We would love for you to be a test case at the appellate level so we can have an answer!

I am of the opinion that because the questions seller must answer are statutorily mandated, seller MUST comply with seller's statutory obligations before the burden shifts to buyer to review and terminate or waive within three days of receipt. Until seller fully complies, buyer's termination period does not begin. It is not up to buyer to let seller know that seller did not comply with seller's statutory obligations.

The voices on the other side of the equation advocate the notion that courts will take a more reasonable approach and apply a common sense analysis over a black letter interpretation ... substance over form. Buyer had the opportunity to let seller know of a perceived failure in answering the questions and secreting that information away until a time that buyer wants to terminate the agreement is not "good faith" and would be frowned upon by a court.

I don't believe that you will find a lock solid answer to this question unless your client litigates and gets the answer for all of us.