[WSBARP] Informal Judicial Preference?

Richard Holland rich at pnwle.com
Thu May 12 10:48:59 PDT 2016

I have had a similar experience before Court Commissioners in Island County.  It is particularly frustrating because you are not necessarily choosing to go before a Commissioner.  That just happens to be who is there that day.  In Island - in my limited experience - you actually need to get the calendar of the judges and make sure that the judge on your case is going to be in court that day - or you can easily find that your matter got bumped to the Commissioner.  At the same time, a retired judge on another case I was involved with had no issue ruling on something.  I didn't have the same result you did, but it was the better part of a wasted day and client funds to have the Commissioner say essentially "I won't rule on this".