[WSBARP] Trustee Sale and Commercial Tenants - Questions

Robert Ordal ordal at ordallaw.com
Wed May 11 22:31:43 PDT 2016

Roberto

There's an old case, Sands v US, 198 F.Supp. 890 (W.D. Wash. 1960) which held that the lender is bound by what the lender would find out about the property by inquiring of occupants/users.  Essentially, the lender has to give notice to foreclose out the tenant's rights in the property, e.g. any leasehold interests.  I think there are more recent cases, but I don't have them.

Usually the lenders don't give notice because they want the leases to survive because they want the rents.  But if the lender wants to eliminate the leases, the lender has to foreclose on the tenants.

Bob