[WSBARP] Easement in Gross

Richard Holland rich at pnwle.com
Fri May 6 10:35:38 PDT 2016

Thank you.  That was interesting reading - the Radovich case in particular - but if anything it clarifies for me that this is a non-issue if he grants the easement to an LLC.  Even if he is the 'owner' of the LLC, the LLC is a distinct legal entity.  To be safe, when he does convey the deed, it seems like it would be a good idea to specifically call out the easement in the deed as the Radovich Court used the "even if merger had occurred..."

And thanks others for clarifying as well that there is no clarification on the transferability of easements in gross - as I said, I do not think that is his intention in any case and I think I could mount a similar argument that so long as the LLC is the holder of the easement, no transfer issue even arises even if membership in the LLC were to change over time.