[WSBARP] new case HOA statute

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Mar 9 13:23:24 PST 2016

Maybe I misinterpreted what issue your post was most concerned about. The thing that I find interesting is the question of "how organized does a group have to get before it becomes an HOA under the statute"? That question heavily overlaps with the question of "how organized does a group have to get before it becomes an unincorporated association under Washington law"? And a related question to that, is whether an unincorporated association can have oral rules of governance, as opposed to written documents.

When I suggested that many groups enforcing covenants end up having bylaws and other operating rules, I was not thinking of road maintenance agreements and that sort of thing - I was thinking specifically of your example covenant: "No noxious or offensive activity shall be carried on upon said Tract or any part thereof, nor shall anything be done or maintained thereon which may be or become an annoyance or nuisance to the neighborhood." A covenant like that has a wealth of opportunity for a proliferation of rules among the people affected, to help decide what is or is not an annoyance or nuisance.

Let me approach the same question instead from another direction. If three properties share a driveway and the easement is accompanied by a covenant under which the parties bear the costs of maintenance and expense in equal shares - and nothing else - then I would argue that no association is formed by the covenant. Similarly, if the three property owners get together every once in a while to discuss the condition of the road and mutually decide what kind of work might need to be done, I also would argue that no association is formed by that habit. That is simply cooperation between neighbors regarding a mutual responsibility.

Let us say there is a disagreement between the three property owners about whether a repair job is needed on the road. Two of them think yes, one of them thinks no. The one who thinks no says, "well, I do not think it is necessary but majority rules, so I agree." Have they just adopted a bylaw that authorizes majority voting? I still think no, because essentially the holdout was willing to change her/his vote for the sake of cooperation with the neighbors. It also was a single instance that was even arguably by majority vote, and not an express intention to adopt a rule binding those who disagree with the decision to follow the will of the majority.

And that is where I think we start to find the threshold between (A) groups of people cooperating regarding a shared responsibility, and (B) formation of an association. I think that formation of an association, even an unincorporated association, requires some affirmative intentional acts to create an ongoing set of governing rules. Without that intent to create, no association is formed. (For these purposes anyway--might be a bit different with social societies.) I don't think the intent even has to be express - it could be implied merely by a group of people deciding to do something "association-like":  appoint "officers" of some kind, either with some express duties or with the traditional duties of an officer with that title (President, Secretary, Treasurer, whatever). There are still gray areas, of course, but I think that is approaching my main concern about what an unincorporated association might be.

All this feeds back into the question of whether the HOA statute applies. I suspect that, by my definition, some of the groups that you are thinking of as associations, would not be associations under my definition. They would be simply groups of people cooperating. And I think those little cooperative groups should NOT be HOAs under the statute--there are an awful lot of powers conferred by those statutes that I think are utterly inappropriate for most circumstances not involving a much more traditional-looking HOA.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC