[WSBARP] Unfiled eviction

HOWARD HERMAN hhherman2 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 22:51:07 PDT 2016

I think the answer to your question is in the Summons itself:

“You may demand that the plaintiff file this lawsuit with the court. If you do so, the demand must be in writing and must be served upon the person signing the summons. Within fourteen days after you serve the demand, the plaintiff must file this lawsuit with the court, or the service on you of this summons and complaint will be void.”

This will force the plaintiff to file the summons and complaint if he is serious.

You didn’t mention a 3 day notice to pay rent or vacate. This is “a jurisdictional condition precedent” to commencing an unlawful detainer action. (Christensen v Ellsworth, Supreme Court, enbanc 2007) Landlords are often sloppy in the service of a 3 day notice which makes for an easy dismissal. RCW 59.12.040 states that any notice in an unlawful detainer action is to be served in the same manner and with the like effect as service of a summons.

If the summons does not contain the above quoted language, it is defective and the court is precluded from exercising its jurisdiction. (In the old days we said the “Court lacked jurisdiction”. In 2007 in Christensen v Ellsworth the Court said the court has jurisdiction by statute and constitution, but it is “precluded from exercising” it if a notice of process is defective in any way.) You might also check the summons and if it does not state the defendant can answer by facsimile, it is again defective with the same effect.

I would serve a NOA along with the demand to file and a copy of an affidavit of service. If the plaintiff takes a default for failure to appear, you can easily get that set aside along with Rule 11 sanctions.

Howard Herman

Herman Herman & Jolley, PS

509-220-5820