[WSBARP] Ownership of home post foreclosure auction

Wendy Walter WWalter at McCarthyHolthus.com
Thu Jun 23 11:12:24 PDT 2016

Jim,

Here’s a relevant statute that discusses tolling events in the statute of limitations.
RCW 4.16.230
Statute tolled by judicial proceedings.
When the commencement of an action is stayed by injunction or a statutory prohibition, the time of the continuance of the injunction or prohibition shall not be a part of the time limited for the commencement of the action.

The foreclosure fairness act, now within RCW 61.24 et seq. prohibits a beneficiary from proceeding to foreclosure right away and instead requires certain due diligence, meet and confer and mediation steps to be taken in certain cases.  I would argue that this is a statutory prohibition on commencement of an action and thus should not count against the beneficiary if the borrower were to challenge on the SOL defense.

Furthermore, the CFPB servicing rules, contained in 12 CFR 1024.41 similarly prohibit through federal rule the commencement of a foreclosure action by a beneficiary in certain circumstances.  Before getting a borrower’s hopes up that the SOL might help them get out of their debt, consider the huge efforts that were made at a state and federal level to provide loss mitigation to so many borrowers in our state (and across the country).  To come back and say that compliance with those efforts might prejudice the beneficiary from recovery on the debt, especially when the stakes are high and liability can be extreme for running the loss mitigation red lights put into effect is not likely to be supported by a court if you consider RCW 4.16.230.

Wendy Walter | Partner - Pacific Northwest | Member State Bars of WA and OR
McCarthy ♦ Holthus LLP
    m. 108 1st  Ave. S., Suite 300, Seattle, WA  98104
    d. 206.596.4844 | f. 206.780.6862 | c. 425.241.5459
    e. wwalter at mccarthyholthus.com<mailto:wwalter at mccarthyholthus.com>
Arizona ♦ California ♦ Colorado ♦  Idaho ♦ Nevada ♦ New Mexico ♦ Oregon ♦ Texas ♦ Washington
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained herein may be privileged and protected by the attorney/client and/or other privilege. It is confidential in nature and intended for use by the intended addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby expressly prohibited from dissemination distribution, copy or any use whatsoever of this transmission and its contents. If you receive this transmission in error, please reply or call the sender and arrangements will be made to retrieve the originals from you at no charge.
Federal law requires us to advise you that communication with our office could be interpreted as an attempt to collect a debt and that any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

I am not clear in my own mind about how the foreclosure process tolls the statute of limitations.  In general, how does that work?  I am willing to learn.  (I try not to but it happens anyway.)
Jim

James R. Doran
Attorney at Law
100 E. Pine Street -  Suite 205
Bellingham, WA 98225
(360)393-9506
jim at doranlegal.com<mailto:jim at doranlegal.com>
www.doranlegal.com<http://www.doranlegal.com>

But if the lender was statutorily barred from proceeding to foreclosure because of the pre-foreclosure diligence, meet and confer requirements, or the mediation program and the potential CFPB delays to proceeding to foreclosure due to the 120 day rule or the bar on dual tracking while reviewing a complete loss mitigation application the SOL defense might not apply.

Wendy Walter | Partner - Pacific Northwest | Member State Bars of WA and OR
McCarthy ♦ Holthus LLP
    m. 108 1st  Ave. S., Suite 300, Seattle, WA  98104
    d. 206.596.4844<tel:206.596.4844> | f. 206.780.6862<tel:206.780.6862> | c. 425.241.5459<tel:425.241.5459>