[WSBARP] Disclaimer of Inheritance

Tom Ashton Tashton at tomashtonlaw.com
Mon Jul 25 15:36:53 PDT 2016

Jim:
DSHS treats a disclaimer as a gift subject to a transfer of assets penalty for purposes of Medicaid-funded long-term care benefits such as institutional or in-home care.  See the Medicaid Manual (WAC 182-513-1363) and “Clarifying Information” at: http://www.hca.wa.gov/medicaid/manual/Pages/62-315.aspx.  A disclaimer will not adversely impact noninstitutional Medically Needy (MN) Medicaid benefits, but may have an adverse impact on SSI benefits.
Tom
s/Thomas E. Ashton
Attorney at Law
WSBA # 11587
203 W. Holly St. Suite 301
Bellingham, Washington
98225
Telephone: 360-714-8208
Fax: 360-714-8217
E-mail: tashton at tomashtonlaw.com

The information contained in this communication, and in any attached document(s), is privileged and/or confidential, intended solely for the individual/entity to whom/which it was sent.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately at the email address, mailing address, or telephone or fax number above.