[WSBARP] Judicial short plat

hhherman2 hhherman2 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 23 15:04:50 PST 2016

Post 1972 could have been yesterday, in which case a BLA is the answer. That means cooperation with the seller and probably an expensive survey plus costs. A survey could reveal a lot line setback problem or encroachment of some kind which often happens when you cut a lot in half. However if the transfer was at least 7 years ago and a deed was or was not recorded, then a friendly adverse possession action that goes by default with only the filing fees out of pocket to get your “judicial” deed. The basis of the adverse possession complaint is exclusive possession; color of title and payment of taxes if a deed was recorded or at least delivered to you. None of which need to be proved in a default. No survey required. The legal description is just, “ the E? W? N? S? half of Lot etc”.

Howard Herman

Herman Herman & Jolley, P.S.

509.220.5810