[WSBARP] Divorce & Partition Action

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Jan 22 16:57:00 PST 2016

The California court cannot directly affect ownership of real property in Washington. Of all the jurisdictional issues that States have, control over their own territory and dirt is the one that provokes the most jealousy. The California court can indirectly affect it under in personam jurisdiction, by contempt proceedings against a party, but the locus State retains control over actual title. In re Marriage of Kowalewski, 163 Wn.2d 542, 182 P.3d 959 (2008).

The California court can use the Washington property's value in the course of determining the split of assets between the parties, but it cannot have any direct effect on ownership of Washington real property. Usually with out-of-state property you have to bolster the decree with voluntary deeds.

I have not encountered this particular problem before, but I think partition might actually work. I think both parties have present fee interests as tenants in common, which means there is a partition right. There may be some legal woodworking to do, to get the Washington real property action to dovetail smoothly with the personal California rights that each party has; but I think it could work.

I don't think the passage of more than 10 years changes the analysis, in this instance. Though I wonder if there are some missing facts... What has been going on with the property for the last 11 years?

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC