[WSBARP] Partition action with Joint Tenants

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Jan 20 15:38:53 PST 2016

Craig:

JTWROS is not excluded from partition; the act of filing a partition action might even be an act that severs the joint tenancy. (I assume the clients do not have a covenant in which they have agreed not to partition the property.)

If you don't want to rely on that, have your client "A" execute and record a quit claim deed: "A, for no consideration and to sever all rights of survivorship between co-owners, conveys and quitclaims to A, as his sole and separate property as a tenant in common without right of survivorship to any other tenant in common, the following-described real property etc." That kills the survivorship right, and your client is a tenant in common and can proceed.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC