[WSBARP] Partition action with Joint Tenants

Jeff Helsdon JHelsdon at tacomalawfirm.com
Wed Jan 20 15:27:08 PST 2016

See:  RCW 64.28.010 (“A joint tenancy shall have the incidents of survivorship and severability as at common law, including the unilateral right of each tenant to sever the joint tenancy”) and Estate of Phillips v. Nyhus (1994) 124 Wash.2d 80, 874 P.2d 154<https://a.next.westlaw.com/Link/Document/FullText?findType=Y&serNum=1994126156&pubNum=0000661&originatingDoc=N9510BE9030FB11DDB28FD93592FAA7A7&refType=RP&originationContext=notesOfDecisions&contextData=%28sc.Search%29&transitionType=NotesOfDecisionItem> (Contract or agreement by only one joint tenant to convey property held in joint tenancy destroys right of survivorship, terminates joint tenancy and converts it into tenancy in common).

Cordially,

Jeffrey Paul Helsdon
Oldfield & Helsdon, PLLC
(253) 564-9500 (Main)