[WSBARP] best practice for grantor description when marital status has changed

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Feb 23 16:53:41 PST 2016

I agree with Howard. On your second question concerning conversion to community property--to make it stick, I would strongly recommend a separate deed done prior to the deed into the revocable living trust, along the lines Howard recommends:

John Doe, a married person who acquired title as a single person prior to my marriage to Jane Doe, for no consideration with the express intent to convert my separate property into community property by this deed, conveys and quit claims to John Doe and Jane Doe, husband and wife, the following described etc.

That clearly allows REET exemption WAC 458-61A-203(1)<http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=458-61A-203>.

Then the second deed, into the RLT, would of course be by both of them to the RLT. Separate REET exemption, WAC 458-61A-211(2)(a)<http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=458-61A-211>.

Trying to stick them both in one REET Affidavit may cause County Treasurer to bounce the deed. It shouldn't, but it happens.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC