[WSBARP] Tax Deed/Sale Unique Situation

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Dec 14 14:18:32 PST 2016

If I remember my tax sale research right from five-six years ago, a property tax foreclosure wipes out ALL encumbrances on the land--mortgages, easements, everything. So I think third party owns that parcel. I'm not positive but you might research if the property tax foreclosure has any effect on statute of limitations for adverse possession. The ownership of the house also is in question, I think. If it is truly straddling the line in a fashion where it is ambiguous which tax parcel it should properly "belong" to, then it is a real muddle and I have no clue what to suggest in terms of who has true ownership.

I think the practical solution is for the buyer to order a preliminary commitment and see what the title company is willing to insure. I would bet that the title company is going to vest the foreclosed tax parcel with the third party buyer, and the other tax parcel with the bank, and have another exception about ownership of the house.

If someone wants to buy both parcels, I think the safest route would be to negotiate with the bank, and also contact the third party and offer them something, and use the fact of the third party's claim as leverage against the bank to reduce the purchase price from them. Then get deeds from both the bank and the third party.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA  98144-3909
phone 206-625-0092
fax 206-625-9040

Please Note that We Have Moved. We have moved our Seattle office to Mount Baker Ridge (a small commercial community just above the I-90 tunnel). Our new address is 1417 31st Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144. All other contact information remains the same.