[WSBARP] career day/way off topic

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Tue Apr 5 10:08:26 PDT 2016

          For those of you who are presenting at school career days or Law
Day, I did so recently and was asked to share my stuff. See attached. First,
I hand out the two-sided paper with one side, Other Careers with Law Degree,
and the other, Legal Specialties. I give one example, usually: so, you want
to help people drill wells in rural Africa. If you have a law degree, then
you can better help them with who owns the land where the well is going to
be, who will have the rights to the water, what if things change over time,
how to deal with the labor and costs to do the drilling, what about permits
and governmental interests and maybe bribes, what about landlord tenant
stuff for your team and the workers, what about the actual nonprofit you are
working for and its rules and requirements, pre-arrival issues such as visas
and approvals and access, planning ahead for the next project, and so on.

          Then I move on and don't refer to that again at all. After about
30 seconds of, I am a lawyer and I work for XYZ, and it takes high school, a
four year college degree, and a three year law school degree, although some
do the law study part on their own; I go right into the hypotheticals. Gives
them an chance to engage, and they always talk.  I direct things a little
bit towards the general proposition that lawyers help people solve problems.
I am also prone to emphasizing that lawyers can be mediators or help people
get into mediations to help solve their own problems.

          Anyone who has taught knows the joys and risks - often really
engaging, creative thinking out loud by interesting kids; versus the
occasional self-focused kid with prpbably abuse and other outside of school
issues who wants to dominate things.  It can make one appreciate the skills
of everyday teachers who know how to handle their classrooms, for sure.

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss
Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP
236 West Birch Street
Shelton, WA 98584
360 426-2999

www.hossandwilson-hoss.com
rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure
under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified
that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by
reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above)
and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.
Thank you.

This office does debt collection and this e-mail may be an attempt to
collect a debt, Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.  To
the extent the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. § 1692)
applies this firm is acting as a debt collector for the
condominium/homeowners' association named above to collect a debt owed to
it. Any information obtained will be used for collection purposes. You have
the right to seek advice of legal counsel.