[WSBARP] "Designer" non-architect - lien rights? right to advertise as "architect"?

Mark K. Funke mark at funkelaw.com
Thu Sep 24 15:58:01 PDT 2015

Eric -

As for the licensing issue, it’s a gross misdemeanor and subjects him to civil penalties.

Just ask a licensed architect how they feel about “designers” calling themselves architects… I have found enforcement by the state lax in WA but brutal and swift in CA.

18.08.460
Violation of chapter — Penalties — Enforcement — Injunctions — Persons who may initiate proceedings.

(1) Any person who violates any provision of this chapter or any rule promulgated under it is guilty of a misdemeanor and may also be subject to a civil penalty in an amount not to exceed one thousand dollars for each offense.

and

18.08.310
Authorization to practice required — Out-of-state firms — Interns.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to practice or offer to practice architecture in this state, or to use in connection with his or her name or otherwise assume, use, or advertise any title or description including the word "architect," "architecture," "architectural," or language tending to imply that he or she is an architect, unless the person is registered or authorized to practice in the state of Washington under this chapter.

- Mark

__
FUNKE PS
Mark K. Funke, Attorney