[WSBARP] Filmore Supreme Court opinion

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Thu Sep 3 11:29:27 PDT 2015

I find it very difficult to reconcile today's decision with Wilkinson v.
Chiwawa. Filmore says that whether or not leasing is permitted in a unit is
a change in use from residential uses permitted; Chiwawa said that VRBOs
(short term rentals) are not commercial uses but considered the same as
single-family residential uses. I know there is much language in both that
could be used to argue one way or another, and each is premised on the
particular governing documents, but really? In Filmore, to conclude that
leasing provisions of the covenants are in the section about uses means that
the inquiry is over? I have already posted my incredulity at the majority
decision in Chiwawa, and I was far kinder to the majority than the dissents
were in that case.

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss
Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP
236 West Birch Street
Shelton, WA 98584
360 426-2999

www.hossandwilson-hoss.com
rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure
under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified
that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by
reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above)
and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.
Thank you.

This office does debt collection and this e-mail may be an attempt to
collect a debt, Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.  To
the extent the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. § 1692)
applies this firm is acting as a debt collector for the
condominium/homeowners' association named above to collect a debt owed to
it. Any information obtained will be used for collection purposes. You have
the right to seek advice of legal counsel.