[WSBARP] HOA Assessment Question

Ross Gardner rossgardner.jd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 09:43:30 PST 2015

Hello All,

Happy Saturday.  I have a client who owns a condominium and recently
evicted a tenant for drug use on the premises.  That tenant has since
returned to the premises and vandalized a portion of the building.  The HOA
is now trying to assess the condominium owner individually for the repairs
and cleanup.  We have a few other arguments to raise regarding the process
that the HOA used, but my first instinct is that since the tenant was
evicted, their actions following the eviction are no longer the unit
owner's responsibility, and the repair should be assessed as any common
vandalism would be and spread out amongst all of the unit owners.

I would love to hear other thoughts/feedback on this stance.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Ross Gardner
Attorney